Karen Cassidy is a partner in our Orange County office. Her practice is focused on litigation with an emphasis on patents, trademarks, trade secrets, unfair competition claims, and data privacy claims.
Karen has represented clients in a variety of industries in district courts throughout the country and before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. She has extensive experience in the area of pharmaceutical litigation, particularly litigation involving Abbreviated New Drug Applications under the Hatch-Waxman Act. In addition to her work in the pharmaceutical industry, Karen has experience litigating cases relating to data privacy claims, including the defense of class actions in this area.
Karen is also active in firm management, serving on the firm’s Executive Committee and Litigation Committee.
Prior to joining the firm, Karen earned her law degree from the George Washington University Law School and a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from Carroll College. Karen is also a registered patent attorney.
Co-Author, "The Supreme Court Holds that Non-Public Sales May Trigger the "On-Sale" Bar Under the America Invents Act," Knobbe Martens Firm Alert
Author, Litigation Blog
- Non-Prior Art Evidence May Be Used to Prove Inherency
- Specification’s Narrow Description of the Invention Results in Disavowal of Claim Scope
- Publication Shelved in Publicly Accessible Library Was Accessible to the Public and Therefore Available as Prior Art
- A “Substantially Equivalent” Disclosure May Satisfy the Written Description Requirement
- The Doctrine of Equivalents May Apply Despite Restriction Requirements and Narrow Claiming
- VERSATOP SUPPORT SYSTEMS v. GEORGIA EXPO, INC.
- ENDO PHARMACEUTICALS INC. v. TEVA PHARMACEUTICALS USA, INC.
- GRUNENTHAL GMBH v. ALKEM LABORATORIES LIMITED
- CHARGEPOINT, INC. v. SEMACONNECT, INC.
- DR. FALK PHARMA GMBH v. GENERICO, LLC
- DUNCAN PARKING TECHNOLOGIES v. IPS GROUP, INC.
- SPINEOLOGY, INC., V. WRIGHT MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY INC.
- HAMILTON BEACH BRANDS, INC. v. F'REAL FOODS, LLC
- ANCORA TECHNOLOGIES, INC. v. HTC AMERICA, INC.
- YEDA RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CO., LTD. V. MYLAN PHARMACEUTICALS INC. & TEVA PHARMACEUTICALS USA, INC. V. SANDOZ INC.
- HYATT v. PATO
- WORLDS INC. V. BUNGIE, INC.
- SAP AMERICA, INC. v. INVESTPIC, LLC
- IN RE MAATITA
- BLACKBIRD TECH LLC V. ELB ELECTRONICS, INC.
- POWER INTEGRATIONS, INC., V. FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR
- Stone Basket Innovations, LLC v. Cook Medical, LLC
- D THREE ENTERPRISES, LLC v. SUNMODO CORPORATION
- MEDTRONIC, INC. v. BARRY
- WESTERNGECO LLC v. ION GEOPHYSICAL CORPORATION
- KNOWLES ELECTRONICS LLC V. IANCU
- OTTAH V. FIAT CHRYSLER
- POLARIS INDUSTRIES, INC. v. ARCTIC CAT, INC.
- XITRONIX CORPORATION v. KLA-TENCOR CORPORATION
- MERK SHARP & DOHME CORP. v. AMNEAL PHARMACEUTICALS LLC
- ADVANCED VIDEO TECHNOLOGIES LLC v. HTC CORPORATION ET AL.
- ITC Issues Limited Exclusion Order of Diebold ATMs Following Finding of Patent Infringement
- Government Ordered to Pitch-In $12.5 Million to Resolve a Patent Dispute Involving Advanced Aerospace Technologies, Inc.’s Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Retrieval System Technology
- Jury Hits Hughes Network with $21 Million Verdict for Infringement of a Satellite Communications Technology Patent Belonging to an International Defense Company
Quoted Media, Articles