Hans Mayer is a litigation partner in our Los Angeles office.
Mr. Mayer represents clients in district courts throughout the country, as well as the TTAB and PTAB. His cases have covered a wide array of technologies and products, including transcatheter heart valve replacement and repair devices, energy drinks, signal boosters, genetic sequencing devices, recreational watercraft, and Emmy Award winning documentaries. He also advises clients with respect to worldwide brand protection and has directed enforcement matters across the globe.
In 2017, Mr. Mayer was selected to conduct jury trials and felony preliminary hearings as first chair trial attorney with the Orange County District Attorney's Trial Attorney Partnership program.
Mr. Mayer received his Bachelor's Degree in Biomedical Engineering from Brown University. While at Brown, he conducted extensive research in the Gait and Motion Analysis Lab at the Providence VA Medical Center. He received his J.D. from Loyola Law School, where he was a member of the St. Thomas More Honor Society as well as an Editor on the Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Review.
How the 'UCANN v. Pure Hemp' IP Lawsuit Will Affect the Cannabis Industry, Cannabis Business Times, July 2019
Co-author, Claim Element With No Antecedent Basis May Be Broader Than the Same Element With an Antecedent Basis (January 18, 2022)
Co-author, No Standing in IPR Appeal for Sublicensee’s Speculative Royalty-Based Injuries (December 1, 2021)
Co-author, Ranges for Interdependent and Interactive Components Can Be Tricky to Derive (December 1, 2021)
- Co-author, The Location of Witnesses and Relevant Evidence Still Reigns Supreme in Venue Decisions (September 27, 2021)
- Co-author, The Obviousness of Preamble Limitations Can Be a Real Headache for Patent Challengers (August 17, 2021)
- Co-author, Presumption of Nexus Between Claims and Commercial Products May Not Apply When Unclaimed Features Are Critical ( August 17, 2021)
- Co-author, Assignors Can Challenge Validity so Long as They Do Not Contradict Assignment Representations (July 1, 2021)
- Co-author, Choose Your Words Carefully: Inventors Are Masters of Their Claims, and the Words They Use to Describe and Claim Their Invention Control (May 28, 2021)
- Co-author, Obviousness in View of Canceled Claims (May 28, 2021)
- Co-author, Hurdles in the Admissibility of Source Code and Expert Reliance on Unauthenticated Source Code (April 07, 2021)
- Co-author, Recoupment of Monetary Investment Is Not the Only Consideration for Equitable Intervening Rights (February 22, 2021)
- Co-author, Claim Construction Arguments Not Made to the PTAB Are Forfeited on Appeal (November 16, 2020)
- Co-author, Applying the Broadest Reasonable Interpretation of the Claim in Light of the Specification, Federal Circuit Revives Claims in Heart Valve Patent(October 16, 2020)
- Co-author, Proprietary Rights in a Mark Not Required for Standing at the TTAB(July 28, 2020)
- Co-author, Patterns of Vexatious Litigation Are a Relevant Consideration in Awarding Attorney's Fees in Patent Infringement Cases (July 2,2020)
- Co-author, Federal Circuit Clarifies Not All § 112 ¶ 6 Indefiniteness Prevents Prior Art Invalidity Analysis by PTAB (May 19, 2020)
- Co-author, Assignor Estoppel Does Not Preclude Reliance on Invalidity Decision (April 23, 2020)
- Co-author, Enjoining Speech and the Right to Allege Patent Infringement (April 6, 2020)
- Co-author, IPR Reply Does Not Raise New Arguments When Discussing Additional Example of an Asserted Prior Art Algorithm (February 10, 2020)
- Co-author, WESTERNGECO L.L.C. V. ION GEOPHYSICAL CORP. (January 14, 2019)
- Co-author,LUMINARA WORLDWIDE, LLC v. IANCU (August 20, 2018)
- Co-author, DISC DISEASE SOLUTIONS INC. v. VGH SOLUTIONS, INC. (May 1, 2018)