Ed Schlatter advises on developing and executing worldwide patent and trademark protection strategies for a wide array of clients, including emerging companies and major multi-national corporations and popular brands. A substantial portion of Ed’s practice is also focused on clearance matters, pre-litigation patent and trademark assertion and defense, and licensing and strategic counseling regarding on-going litigation. In addition, Ed offers significant experience in Inter Partes Review, Ex Parte Patent Reexamination and Trademark Opposition and Cancellation proceedings.
Ed’s technological experience is as diverse as the clients he serves, ranging from automotive products, bicycles, golf equipment, oil drilling and intervention equipment, Internet applications and medical devices, to a wide array of consumer, industrial equipment and building products. He also represents restaurants and medical device, consumer product and internet service companies in connection with goods and services, including the protection of their trademarks and other intellectual property assets.
A leader by example and a person that is as passionate about his clients’ inventions and creativity as they are, Ed takes pride in creating and defending strategic IP assets. Over more than three decades of practice, Ed has succeeded time and again because he offers not only the experience, intelligence and business acuity needed to exercise the right judgment, but also has his client’s best interest at heart. Patient, a clear communicator and active listener, Ed knows how to negotiate a solution that will secure his client’s protection and allow them to realize their business objectives.
Mr. Schlatter has received multiple awards for his legal accomplishments:
- Recognized by The Legal 500 for Patent Prosecution in 2019
- Recognized by American Lawyer Media as a Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law (2013)
- Named as one of “O.C.’s Top Lawyers” by OC Metro magazine in the both the category of Intellectual Property Law and the category of Patent Applications (2009, 2012 - 2015)
- Named as one of Southern California’s Super Lawyers in intellectual property law in a survey of his peers published in the Los Angeles magazine and Super Lawyers magazine
- Consistently recognized by Martindale-Hubbell as an AV Preeminent Rated lawyer
Schlatter, Edward A. "Protecting Offshore Production Innovations", Offshore Engineer (March 2020)
Schlatter, Edward A. "The Administration of Justice Committee", Orange County Lawyer Magazine published by the Orange County Bar Association (October 2012)
Speeches & Seminars
"Do You Have a Design Worth a Billion Dollars? Design Patents: A Valuable Asset and a Powerful Enforcement Tool", Panelist, OCTANe, Irvine, CA (April 22, 2014).