Daniel E. Altman focuses on patent protection and related licensing issues for the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and chemical industries. A particular specialty of Dan’s relates to foreign patent protection for these industries.
Dan regularly attends the BIO International Convention and has also been recognized as a "Life Science Star" by Legal Media Group (LMG). He has spoken extensively in the field of patent law both in the United States and abroad. Dan has also lectured for AIPPI-Japan (Tokyo), AIPPI World Congress (Boston), AIPLA, KTK (Osaka), and AUS-BIO (Brisbane).
Prior to joining the firm, Dan was a teacher for the Los Angeles Unified School District, where he taught physical science to seventh and eighth grade students. Dan joined the firm in 1989 and became a partner in 1993.
Honorable Terry J. Hatter, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Dan has received multiple awards and has been honored in both national and international forums for his legal accomplishments:
- Received "Star" distinction in the Legal Media Group's (LMG) "Life Sciences Survey" for Intellectual Property from 2014 to 2017. In 2018, he was once again selected as a "Life Science Star" for his work in the areas of Patent Prosecution and Advisory, and Patent Strategy & Management.
- Named in Who's Who Legal's 2012, 2016, and 2017 editions of the international "Who's Who Legal: Patents" list
- Recognized in Corporate LiveWire's 2016 "Global Fund Awards" as the "Most Outstanding in Due Diligence Law"
- Recognized by Law Business Research in the 2015 "Who's Who Legal 100"
- Named to Legal Media Group's (LMG) 2015 "Guide to the World's Leading Patent Law Experts"
Altman, D., Sweeney, C., and Yasui, T. (2014) Preparing effective experimental data for pharmaceutical patent applications from US and Japanese perspectives. Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst, 3(5), 469 - 473. doi:10.4155/ppa.14.38
Speeches & Seminars
Panelist, "Patent Protection in Japan," IP Impact Orange County (September 10, 2015).
Panelist, "Licensing Patents in the Wake of U.S. Supreme Court Decisions on Patent Eligibility," 7th Global IP Convention 2015, Mumbai, India (January 16, 2015).
Panelist, “Intellectual Property Seminar for Executives and IP Managers," Tokyo, Japan (November 15, 2013).
Panelist, "Patent Protection in US and Europe," IP Impact Southern California, Orange County and San Diego (September 26 & 27, 2013)
Speaker, "Strategies for Taking Advantage of the America Invents Act, Resolving the Tension Between Patentable Subject Matter & Joint Infringement", Tokyo, Japan (October 19, 2012)
Importance of IP to Global Trade, US Global Business Forum, Los Angeles (September 8, 2012)
Roundtable Leader, Seattle Office Roundtable: Developing Effective Prosecution Strategies After Prometheus v. Mayo, Seattle, WA (June 5, 2012)
Patent Portfolio Development, Tech IP Seminar, Melbourne Australia (May 22, 2012)
Divided Infringement: ITAG Seminar, Delhi, India (January 7, 2012)
Overview of the America Invents Act, AIA Seminar Bangalore, India (January 9, 2012)
Speaker, "Effective Strategies for Building a Patent Portfolio", Japan Seminar, Tokyo, Japan (September 2011)
IP Overview, International Educational and Cultural Exchange Services Center, Irvine, CA (August 2, 2011)
IP Law Review, LawReview CLE, Brea, CA (April 2011)