For over 20 years, Andrew Douglas has been advising clients concerning intellectual property matters. Andrew works with clients to implement effective strategies to obtain patent protection for key innovations. Andrew also works proactively with clients to mitigate patent infringement risk. These efforts are foundational to preparing for and conducting intellectual property due diligence in connection with transactions, such as investments and acquisitions.
Andrew’s clients are mostly in mechanical engineering and medical fields. Andrew has served clients in ophthalmology, orthopedics, cardiovascular devices, diagnostics, and interventions, among other medical technologies. A partial list of areas of focus in Andrew’s practice includes:
- Intraocular lenses (IOLs)
- IOL injectors
- Implants to mitigate presbyopia
- Corneal inlays, treatments, and procedures
- Orthopedic implants and instruments for the extremities, including elbow, foot and ankle, and small bone implants, tools and procedures
- Shoulder implants, tools and procedures, including anatomic and reverse shoulder, patient specific tooling and implants for the shoulder
- Hip and knee implants, instruments, and methods
- Spinal implants and instruments
- Patient specific surgical planning
- Orthopedic surgical navigation
- Structural heart devices, methods, and catheters
- Guide wire and catheter based pressure sensing devices
- Coronary artery intervention instruments and diagnostics
- Coronary and peripheral stents
- Distal protection guide wires
- Ventricular assist devices and surgical instruments
- Catheter based heart pumps
- Extra-corporeal membrane oxygenator (ECMO) devices
Andrew also has experience in mechanical devices in the following fields:
- Automotive systems
- CNG fuel and fueling systems
- Hydrogen fuel and fuel cell systems
- Battery electric vehicle systems
- MOMS, Fabry-Perot, and optical sensors
Andrew is based in Irvine, California, serving local clients and clients in other states and countries.
Andrew enjoys learning about his clients’ technologies and helping his clients deploy well thought-out and effective intellectual property strategies to protect their key technologies.
Speeches & Seminars
Douglas, A., Achtsam, J., Christensen, M., Koch, K., Lea, C., Lee, S., Orthopedic IP Litigation Webinar - What You Need to Know From Recent Disputes and Decisions, August, 26, 2021, Irvine, CA.
Douglas, A., Azamian, B., Lam, S., Narula, R. Making the Perfect Pitch, OCTANe, December 12, 2018, Irvine, CA.
Douglas, A., Lee. S., Kimmel, A., Preparing Your Life Science NewCo IP for Launch & Due Diligence, OCTANe Startup Series, March 8, 2016, Irvine, CA.
Douglas, A., Lee. S., Protecting Intellectual Property in a Competitive Market - Recent IP News You Need to Know, OCTANe Medical Device & Investor Forum, October 22, 2014, Irvine, CA.
Douglas, A., Lam, S., Intellectual Property For Engineers, UCI Biomedical Engineering Senior Design Seminar, January 14, 2014, Irvine, CA.
Douglas, A., Lee, S., Schneider, S., Zadno, R., Preparing Your Medical Device NewCo For IP Due Diligence, OCTANe Medical Device and Investor Forum, October 23, 2013, Irvine, CA.
Chun, A., Canuso, V., Douglas, A., Kertz, M., Is Freedom to Operate Mission Impossible?, OCTANe Strategic Growth Series, February 21, 2013, Irvine, CA.
Douglas, A., Impact on Novelty Standard of the America Invents Act, Whittier Law School, February 1, 2012, Costa Mesa, CA.
Cianfrani, J., Douglas, A., Lee, S., Merani, Impact of Patent Reform on IP Due Diligence for Medical Device Companies, OCTANe Medical Device & Investor Forum, November 16, 2011, Irvine, CA.
Fox, C., Douglas, A., Lee, S., Latest Strategies for Effectively Managing Your Patent Portfolio, OCTANe Building Blocks, April 15, 2010, Irvine, CA.
Douglas, A., Lee, S., Narula, R., Kapadia, M., Strategies for Success: An Inside Look Into Developing and Prosecuting a Valuable Medical Device Patent Portfolio, Intellectual Property and Strategy for the Medical Device Industry: From Inception to Commercialization, July 10, 2009, San Mateo, CA.
Douglas, A., Kimmel, A., Lee, S., Avoiding Patent Pitfalls, OCTANe Building Blocks, March 19, 2008, Irvine, CA.