Mauricio has extensive experience in comprehensive client counseling in all aspects of intellectual property law. He has counseled various clients on patent and technology licensing matters, including standards essential patent licensing. He has also been very active in the prosecution of patent applications in both the electrical engineering and computer software fields.
For more than 15 years, Mauricio has engaged in numerous licensing strategy and license negotiations for various clients. He has extensive experience representing clients with regard to standard essential patent licensing matters and is well versed in case law and licensing models throughout the world. Mauricio has helped clients set up licensing programs, identify and cultivate essential patent assets, develop responses to licensing offers and develop holistic licensing programs.
Mauricio has traveled extensively throughout the world assisting clients with key license negotiations.
Mauricio also has wide-ranging experience in developing patent portfolios and intellectual property assets. He also provides counsel on patentability, due diligence and infringement mitigation matters and comprehensive intellectual property programs including litigation and complex, global patent and technology licensing.
He joined the firm as a partner in the Seattle office in 2008.
Mr. Uribe has received multiple awards and has been honored in both national and international forums for his legal accomplishments:
- Named one of the "World’s Leading Patent Professionals" in the Patent 1000 guide for Transactions and Prosecution by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine (2012 - 2021). The 2021 guide stated, "Uribe complements his pure-play prosecution skills with a deft licensing touch"
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2014 - 2021). In the 2018 and 2019 editions, he was recognized for his work in Patent Law, Information Technology Law, and Technology Law. He was also named Orange County's 2020 "Lawyer of the Year" for his work in Information Technology Law
- Named a Washington "Super Lawyer" (2018 - 2019) for his work in intellectual property law by Super Lawyers magazine
- Named as one of Washington’s “Rising Stars” in intellectual property litigation in Super Lawyers magazine (2012 and 2013)
- Named as Washington Law & Politics Rising Star (2004 ‑ 2008)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, National Meeting Speaker, 2006
Quoted, "The Trendy, Hot NFT Market Has a New Entrant: Patents," Bloomberg Law (May 2021)
Author, "The end of the DABUS affair?," World Intellectual Property Review (April 2021)
Quoted, "Skilled in the Art: A Pregame Discussion on AIs as Inventors + Gibson Dunn Gets an Assist From Judge Davis + Not Even a COVID-Based Mistrial Can Stop This Hogan Team," Law.com (March 2021)
Author, "When It Comes To SEPs, Act Locally But Enforce Globally," Law360 (November 2020)
Author, "Resolving AV ownership and licensing issues," Autonomous Vehicle Technology (March 2020)
"Patent Proposal Could Help EEs," EE Times (June 2019)
Co-Author, "Clarity and Progress at the USPTO: The USPTO Publishes Revised Guidance on Patent Eligible Subject Matter," Knobbe Martens Firm Alert (January 2019)
"What's Happening - Microsoft Innovation?," Law.com (April 2018)
"The Effect of Microsoft v. Motorola," Bloomberg BNA - Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal (September 2015)
Speeches & Seminars
Panelist, "How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing Law Firms and the Law PT. 2," Law Practice Today (May 2019)
Panelist, "How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing Law Firms and the Law PT.1," Law Practice Today (April 2019)
Panelist, "Fast Changing Technologies Transforming Business," 17th Annual SEC "Hot Topics" Conference, Irvine, CA (September 2018).
Panelist, "Hot Topics in Patent Licensing and Valuation," American Bar Association (ABA) Section of Intellectual Property Law and Center for Professional Development, Live Webinar (December 2013).
Panelist, "Can I Still Get a Patent on That? Best Practices for Protecting Innovations in the Software, High Technology and Biotech Industries," IP Impact Silicon Valley Seminar, Palo Alto, CA (September 2013).