Intellectual property litigator and trial attorney Karen Vogel Weil represents plaintiffs and defendants in complex, high-stakes patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret disputes. Karen is a highly experienced, relentlessly driven and proven advocate both in and out of court. In an era where few litigators actually go to trial, Karen has tried more than a dozen cases.
Whether through favorable settlement, fighting aggressively in litigation, developing the right trial strategy, or identifying any other opportunity that can be seized for a favorable outcome, Karen focuses on realizing positive results for all of her clients. Karen thrives under the constant challenge of finding creative solutions and developing winning strategies. Karen’s in-depth knowledge of the law, credibility and positive presence allow her to establish immediate rapport and credibility with judges and juries alike.
Karen has well-recognized expertise in the area of patent damages. Notably, she spearheaded the damages portion of two significant lawsuits, including at trial, for long-time firm client, Masimo Corporation. In the first trial against Masimo’s major rival, a jury awarded Masimo over $134 million. That victory allowed Masimo to settle the dispute, develop a significant market presence, go public, and generate hundreds of millions of dollars in ongoing royalties. In the second trial, against another major rival, the jury awarded over $466 million — the largest IP award of the year. After the district court upheld the jury’s verdict, the parties settled their dispute and entered a business deal worth hundreds of millions of dollars. On behalf of accused infringers, Karen has succeeded in obtaining judgments of no damages, despite a verdict of liability. Particularly because of her undeniable skill, hands-on experience and time-tested experience relating to patent damages, Karen is sought after to serve on litigation and trial teams by clients and colleagues alike, who depend on her regarding their most critical disputes.
Listed multiple times in Southern California Super Lawyers magazine, Karen is among the publication’s “Top Women Attorneys in Southern California” and included in the “Corporate Counsel” edition. She is also among the Los Angeles Business Journal’s "Leaders in Law,” The Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine’s “Patent 1000 World's Leading Patent Professionals,” and an American Lawyer “Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law.”
Active in the community, Karen serves in leadership positions in a variety of legal and other professional associations. Karen is frequently invited to speak on patent litigation matters and, in particular, on damages-related issues.
Ms. Weil has received multiple awards and has been honored for her legal accomplishments:
- Selected to the 2012-2020 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® for her work in Intellectual Property Litigation and Patent Litigation
- Named one of the "World's Leading Patent Professionals" for litigation in the Patent 1000 guide by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine (2016-2019). In the 2018 guide, Ms. Weil was recognized for her impressive work at the firm and described as "an authority on patent damages"
- Selected for inclusion in the "Southern California Super Lawyers" list for her work in intellectual property litigation from 2009 to 2019 by Super Lawyers magazine
- Recognized in the Los Angeles Business Journal 2017 "Leaders in Law" awards
- Named one of the "Top Women Attorneys in Southern California" by Super Lawyers from 2012 to 2015
- Recognized by American Lawyer Media as a Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law for 2013
- Included in the 2009 and 2010 Corporate Counsel edition of Super Lawyers in the area of intellectual property litigation