An experienced and proven advocate and trial lawyer, John Sganga has spent over three decades successfully and exclusively litigating intellectual property and technology disputes. John’s cases always involve a client whose technology or brand has been stolen or high-jacked, or who has been wrongly accused of doing so.
A quick study in understanding even the most pioneering innovation, John is able to distill complex technologies to their core while gaining an in depth understanding of his client’s business model and financial imperatives. John’s skills as an effective communicator and persuasive negotiator enable him to thrive in high pressure situations and high-stakes cases. He is regarded as someone who remains calm while out-thinking and out-persuading his opponents.
John is personally dedicated to working diligently to define a win for his client at the onset of every matter, developing a distinct approach to problem-solving and leading his team in executing the right strategy appropriately and energetically to victory. Having represented plaintiffs and defendants alike, John has secured courtroom victories of over $100 million for both plaintiffs and defendants in high-stakes technology disputes. He appears in courts nationwide, including jury trials, bench trials, arbitrations, appeals and administrative proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) and the International Trade Commission (ITC).
John’s experience includes patent, trade secret, copyright and trademark infringement matters, as well as contract disputes involving technology development and IP rights. The industries with which John is familiar are also diverse and range from medical and dental devices, engine technology and software, to food and beverage and consumer products.
John has been active as a bar leader, is a past chair of his firm’s Litigation practice, a frequent lecturer on IP law and litigation strategy, an author of a book and numerous articles, and has taught patent litigation as an adjunct law professor. He has been recognized with numerous awards as a stand-out lawyer locally (Super Lawyers), state-wide (Daily Journal “Top IP Attorneys in California”), nationally (The Best Lawyers in America, BTI “Client Service All-Star” and Martindale Hubbell AV judicial pre-eminent rating), and internationally (IAM “World’s Leading Patent Professionals”).
Mr. Sganga has received multiple awards and has been honored in national forums for his legal accomplishments:
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2007-2020). In the 2018, 2019 and 2020 editions, he was recognized in the appellate practice, copyright law, intellectual property litigation, patent litigation, trade secrets and trademark law categories. He was also named Orange County's 2018 and 2020 "Lawyer of the Year" for his work in intellectual property litigation, trade secrets law, and appellate practice
- Named one of the "World's Leading Patent Professionals" for litigation in the Patent 1000 guide by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine (2015-2019). In the 2019 guide he was commended as a “dynamo who pursues client-defined wins with incredible energy”.
- Recognized as a Patent Star in Managing IP's "IP STARS" guide for his outstanding intellectual property legal work (2018-2019)
- Received "Local Litigation Star" and "Benchmark California Star" rankings in Benchmark Litigation 2018 and 2019, a definitive guide exclusively covering leading litigators in the U.S.
- Named a 2018 "Life Science Star" for Patent Litigation in the Legal Media Group's (LMG) "LMG Life Sciences" Guide
- Named in the Daily Journal's list of the "Top IP Attorneys in California" (2014, 2016-2019)
- Repeatedly selected by Super Lawyers magazine in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation
- Recognized in BTI Consulting Group's 2017 "Client Service All-Stars" report for his superior client service in IP Litigation
- Named Orange County's "Lawyer of the Year" in 2016 for Patents and in 2014 for Intellectual Property Litigation by Best Lawyers®
- Recognized among the Top 50 Orange County Lawyers for 2015 in Super Lawyers Magazine
- Recognized by American Lawyer Media as a Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law for 2013
- Received Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent rating (as voted by Bar members and Judiciary)