Having served as lead counsel in over 100 pharmaceutical litigations, including cases involving “blockbuster” drugs like Lipitor and Nexium, William R. Zimmerman is widely recognized as one of the nation’s premier life science litigators. As co-chair of both the firm’s Hatch-Waxman and Life Sciences Practice Groups, Bill oversees a diverse team of attorneys who have collectively litigated over 200 complex cases involving pharmaceutical products.
Recognized as the “Hatch-Waxman Litigator of the Year,” Bill Zimmerman is well-versed in the Abbreviated New Drug Application process and the complexities Hatch-Waxman litigation. He has been widely acknowledged for his expertise in pharmaceutical matters, being repeatedly named one of “The World’s Leading Patent Professionals” by IAM, a “Life Science Star” by LMG, an “IP Star” by Managing IP, and a “Washington D.C. Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyer’s Magazine. He was previously named one of the top fifty intellectual property lawyers under the age of forty by IP Law & Business magazine.
Bill is the founding managing partner of the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. Before joining the firm, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Alvin A. Schall, Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Bill has received multiple awards and has been honored in both national and international forums for his legal accomplishments:
- Ranked amongst top ten for Top 100 Most Active ANDA Attorneys Representing
Defendants and 12th for Best Performing ANDA Attorneys Representing Defendants by Patexia Insight's 2021 ANDA Litigation Intelligence Report
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for his outstanding work in Intellectual Property Litigation
- Selected by The Legal 500 "United States" for Patent Litigation and Patent Prosecution (2018 - 2021)
- Recognized as a Patent Star in Managing IP's "IP Stars" Guide for his outstanding intellectual property legal work (2014 - 2021)
- Recognized as a "Washington D.C. Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers magazine for his intellectual property litigation practice (2015 - 2021)
- Named Top Patent Challenger Attorney 2020 by Docket Navigator
- Named a "Life Science Star" by Legal Media Group "LMG Life Sciences" (2012 - 2018). In 2018, Bill was recognized in the areas of Patent Litigation and Hatch-Waxman Litigation. A client praised Bill as a "highly experienced litigator, who can always be relied on to give solid, practical advice". In 2017, Bill was commended by peers as "one of the very excellent lawyers on the generic side". In 2016, he was recognized for his work in cardiovascular drugs, drug formulations, transdermals, biologics, biosimilars, combination products, allergenics, antibiotics, vaccines, and dental devices. Bill was also noted for helping client Ranbaxy receive a favorable decision, allowing the company to market a generic version of Lipitor, the world’s best-selling drug.
- Named one of the "World's Leading Patent Professionals" for litigation in the Patent 1000 guide by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine (2013 - 2018). In the 2018 guide, Bill was recognized for being "well versed in the intracacies of the ANDA process" and commended for his "rare finesse" litgating under the Hatch-Waxman Act.
- Nominated by the Managing IP (MIP) Americas Awards 2018 for "Outstanding Litigator - D.C."
- Named in Who's Who Legal's 2017 edition of the international "Who's Who Legal: Patents" list
- Named "Hatch-Waxman Litigator of the Year - Generic" in the 2016 LMG Life Sciences Awards by Legal Media Group (LMG)
- Named in the Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Life Sciences 250 – The World’s Leading Life Sciences Patent Litigators (2010)
- Named one of the top 50 intellectual property lawyers under the age of 40 by IP Law & Business magazine (2008)
William R. Zimmerman and Nathan Engels, The Supreme Court Addresses Amendment-Based Prosecution History Estoppel, OCPLA Newsletter (June, 2002).
William R. Zimmerman, Unifying Markman and Warner-Jenkinson: A Revised Approach To The Doctrine Of Equivalents, 11 Harv. J. L. & Tech. 185 (1997).
Speeches & Seminars
Jonathan S. Caplan, Jennifer L. Fox, Jason Murata, Chuck Sholtz, and William R. Zimmerman. ACI’s 9th Annual Summit on Biosimilars: Navigating through Biosimilars IPRs. (June 25, 2018)
Craig Summers and William R. Zimmerman. Case law update: Recent IP cases that impact your business. IP Impact – Seattle 2012: Innovative Intellectual Property Litigation Strategies. Seattle, WA (February 29, 2012).
Carol Pitzel Cruz and William Zimmerman. In-Depth Review of Recent Decisions and Trends in Hatch-Waxman Litigation. 4th Annual Product and Pipeline Enhancement for Generics Conference: Navigating Regulatory Pathways and Patent Strategies to Ensure Market Sustainability. (July 27, 2011).
Stephen R. Auten, David M. Fox, William R. Zimmerman, and Charles E. Van Horne, Patent Certification/Litigation. Brands, Generics, and Hatch-Waxman: New Challenge; Unabated Controversy, Food and Drug Law Institute (June 24, 2011).
Christopher J. Kelly and William R. Zimmerman. The Master Class on Settling Paragraph IV Disputes: Drafting and Negotiating Strategies for Brand-Names and Generics – A Hands-On, Practical Approach. Paragraph IV Disputes Post-Conference Workshop (May 5, 2011).
William R. Zimmerman. Recent Court Decisions You Need to Know About. IP Impact – Research Triangle Park 2010: Innovative Intellectual Property Strategies for Emerging Technology Companies. Chapel Hill, NC (September 23, 2010).
William R. Zimmerman. 3rd Annual Product and Pipeline Enhancement for Generics Conference: Navigating Regulatory Pathways and Patent Strategies to Ensure Market Sustainability. (June 28-30, 2010).
William R. Zimmerman Recent Developments in Patent Law. IP Impact- Research Triangle 2009: Innovative Intellectual Property Strategies for Emerging Technology Companies. Chapel Hill, NC (September 29, 2009).
Kennth R. Adamo, Eric M. Albritton, Cynthia E. Kernick, Charles F. Schill, and William R. Zimmerman. Litigating in Popular Jurisdictions. BNA Legal and Business Edge: Using Today’s Patent Laws to Protect Tomorrow’s Technology – New Litigation Strategies (October 6, 2008).
William R. Zimmerman. Life Cycle Management Considerations. The Increasing Role of Antitrust Principles in Defining Patent Rights. IPO Conference (June 9, 2008)
Brian Way, Jeremiah Chan, William R. Zimmmeran, and Adeel Akhtar. Recent Supreme Court Cases (and Seagate). IP Impact Seminar 2007: Intellectual Property Law Gets Down to Business (October 11, 2007).
William R. Zimmerman, Complying with Standards for Expert Work Product, Law Seminars International (March 20, 2006).
William R. Zimmerman, Coordinating Worldwide Pharmaceutical Disputes, Henry Stewart Conference (September 28, 2005).
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, Recent Decisions In Patent Law, presented by Don W. Martens to the San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association (October 24, 2002), published at www.sdipla.org.
William R. Zimmerman, The Patent Year In Review, presented by William R. Zimmerman to the OCPLA/SDIPLA Spring Seminar (March 24, 2002).
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, Perspective Impact Of Recent Decisions Affecting Intellectual Property Litigation, presented by
Don W. Martens to the CLE International Conference On Intellectual Property Issues In Biotechnology Law (March 14-15, 2002).
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, Recent Developments In Claim Interpretation And Other Patent Law Issues Relating To Biotechnology, A Presentation to Genentech (February 8, 2002).
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, The Recent Narrowing Of Literal Claim Scope And The Permissible Range Of Equivalents In The United States, Patent World (Nov. 2001, No. 137).
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, Recent Patent Decisions, presented by Don W. Martens to the 26th Annual IP Institute, IP Section of the State Bar of California (Nov. 16-17, 2001).
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, The Recent Narrowing Of Literal Claim Scope And The Permissible Range Of Equivalents, presented by Don W. Martens to the Joint Session AIPLA and the IP Entertainment Law Committee of the IBA Section on Business Law (Cancun, Mexico Nov. 2, 2001)
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, The Recent Narrowing Of Literal Claim Scope And The Permissible Range Of Equivalents, presented by Don W. Martens to the San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Association (September 19, 2001).
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, The Recent Narrowing Of Literal Claim Scope And The Permissible Range Of Equivalents, presented by Don W. Martens on behalf of the American Intellectual Property Law Association in Moscow, Russia (June 5-6, 2001).
Karen Vogel Weil and William R. Zimmerman, Recent Developments In Invalidity Under 35 U.S.C. § 112 At The United States Court Of Appeals For The Federal Circuit, American Intellectual Property Law Association 2001 Road Show -- Advanced Patent Litigation Seminar (presenter in Boston, MA June 1, 2001; Chicago, IL June 8, 2001; Los Angeles, CA June 22, 2001).
Karen Vogel Weil and William R. Zimmerman, Recent Developments In Invalidity Under 35 U.S.C. § 112 At The United States Court Of Appeals For The Federal Circuit, presented to the Orange County Patent Law Association (July 18, 2001).
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, Recent Patent Decisions, 25th Annual Intellectual Property Institute, The Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of California (Nov. 10, 2000).
Don W. Martens and William R. Zimmerman, Recent Patent Decisions, USPTO Academy (July 18, 2000).