Colin is an experienced patent litigator who, for more than 17 years, has been winning cases for his clients in district courts around the country and at the Patent Trial and Appeals Board. Super Lawyers recognized Colin as a “Washington Rising Star” in 2015 and, since then, Colin has been recognized three times as a “Future Star” by the Benchmark Litigation Guide, received the 2019 award for “IP Litigation Law within Washington” by International Advisory Experts, was named to the shortlist for 2023 “Litigator of the Year – Washington State” by Managing IP, was named one of “The World's Leading Patent Professionals” for Litigation in the 2023 Patent 1000 guide by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine, and was selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2024) for Intellectual Property Litigation.
Colin’s success in district court cases – from New York to California and from Washington to Texas – stems from his ability to focus large, complex litigation matters on key case-dispositive issues, and to develop the record necessary to win on those issues. This ability has served him equally well in inter partes review proceedings, where he has served as lead counsel in dozens of successful IPR proceedings and was recently recognized as a Top 50 Best Performing IPR attorney for Petitioners in Patexia’s PTAB Intelligence (2023) report. He has also successfully argued at the Federal Circuit.
Colin co-founded the Canadian American Bar Association and has served as its Vice President and as its Secretary-Treasurer. He is also an active member of the Washington State Patent Lawyers Association (WSPLA) and formerly served as the Chair of the WSPLA Litigation Committee. Away from the office, Colin serves as a volunteer coach for the Sno-King Amateur Hockey Association.
Recognized as a "Top 50 Best Performing IPR Attorney for representing Petitioners" in Patexia’s 2023 PTAB Intelligence Report
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for his work in Intellectual Property Litigation (2024)
- Named one of "The World's Leading Patent Professionals" for Litigation in the Patent 1000 guide by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine (2023). In the 2023 guide, Colin was described as "an excellent and efficient case manager who offers practical legal advice. He is very responsive, detail oriented and provides great value.”
- Recognized as a "Future Star" in the 2021, 2023 and 2024 editions of the Benchmark Litigation Guide
- Received the 2019 Award for "IP Litigation Law within Washington" by International Advisory Experts
- Named a 2015 "Washington Rising Star" in intellectual property law by Super Lawyers.
Speeches & Seminars
“2018: A Year of Change for Post Issuance Proceedings,” The IP Strategy Summit, Seattle, WA (May 2, 2018)
“Fighting the Ultimate Troll: A Case Study,” the LOTNetwork Bridge, San Francisco, CA (May 11, 2017)
“Enforcement & Litigation Strategies,” IP Enforcement: Seattle, Seattle, WA (November 8, 2017)
“Highlights from Halo v. Pulse – The New Standard for Enhanced Damages in Patent Cases,” The IP Strategy Summit, Seattle, WA (October 20, 2016)
“Exploiting the IPR Process for Better Business Outcomes,” The IP Strategy Summit, Seattle, WA (October 20, 2016).
“Getting the Most Out of Your Relationship with Outside Counsel,” IP Impact Seattle 2012: Innovative Intellectual Property Litigation Strategies. Seattle, WA (February 29, 2012).
“Offers to License: The Tip of the U.S. Patent Litigation Iceberg,” IP Impact Vancouver 2011: Strategies for Protecting Your IP in the US (January 20, 2011).