Media & Press
Our media contacts are available to discuss:
Recent case law and legal trends for their respective industries
Technology and business trends and their impact on the legal industry
The impact of specific legal decisions, commentary or other rule-making for their respective industries
Firm Commentary & IP Trends
Seven J. Nataupsky has served as the Managing Partner on Knobbe Martens for over a decade. Steven continues to practice all aspects of intellectual property law including protecting inventions, trademarks, domain names, copyrights and trade secrets.
Steven can discuss:
- News regarding Knobbe Martens
- Trends in the intellectual property legal sector
- Knobbe Martens’ recruiting efforts
- The firm’s commitment to diversity
- Information regarding the protection or enforcement of intellectual property rights
Stephen Jensen is an intellectual property attorney whose practice emphasizes litigation, competitive strategy, negotiation, licensing, infringement and validity analysis, financings, acquisitions, joint development and other strategic technology-related transactions.
Call or email Stephen if you would like to discuss:
- IP issues in medical devices and instrumentation, semiconductors, computer hardware and software, complex digital signal processing, telecommunications including wireless, antennas, video and audio processing, optics, solid state cooling and heating, and control systems
- Financing, acquisitions, joint development and other strategic technology-related transactions
- Public policy in intellectual property including USPTO policies as well as legislation and regulations
John Sganga is a trial lawyer who focuses on litigating patent, trademark, trade secret and licensing disputes. John has been litigating IP cases for 30 years and is the Chair of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. He has experience with a wide variety of technologies and industries including medical and dental devices, construction products, engine technology, software, semiconductors and beverages.
Call or email John if you would like to discuss:
- Pre-litigation strategies, bench and jury trials, arbitrations and appellate court matters
- Issues relating to proceedings before the United States International Trade Commission
- Issues relating to litigating IP rights for medical and dental devices
Joseph Cianfrani is a litigation partner who represents various clients in all types of intellectual property disputes, including those involving patents, trademarks, trade secrets, and copyrights. His practice primarily involves patent and trademark cases at the trial and appellate levels.
Call or email Joe if you would like to discuss:
- Patent law and appellate practice before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Litigation issues in the electronics & semiconductors, medical devices, optics and software & IT spaces
Sheila Swaroop is an intellectual property attorney with experience in all aspects of IP litigation, including pre-litigation counseling, strategic enforcement and litigation of disputes through trial and appeal. Sheila is also experienced with advising clients on intellectual property strategies for biosimilars, pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Call or email Sheila if you would like to discuss:
- IP litigation in district court and the International Trade Commission
- IP litigation issues in biosimilars, pharmaceuticals and medical device cases
Karen Vogel Weil is an intellectual property attorney with experience in all aspects of IP litigation, including representing plaintiffs and defendants in patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret disputes. Karen has both trial and appellate experience.
Call or email Karen if you would like to discuss:
- Damages, injunctive relief issues, royalties and standards
- All phases of the IP litigation practice, including pretrial, trial and appellate stages
William Zimmerman is an intellectual property litigator who has worked extensively in the area of pharmaceutical litigation and is well versed in the Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) process and the complexities of litigation involving pharmaceuticals under the Hatch-Waxman Act. He also has experience in obtaining and licensing pharmaceutical-related intellectual property.
Call or email Bill if you would like to discuss:
- Complexities of litigation involving pharmaceuticals under the Hatch-Waxman Act
- ANDA process
- Pre-litigation counseling, strategic enforcement and litigation disputes through trial and appellate stages
Trademark & Copyrights
Lynda Zadra-Symes is a litigation partner who represents clients through all stages of U.S. litigation, from pre-suits through trial and appeal, in federal courts throughout the county and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Her practice involves all types of intellectual property, including patents, trade secrets, trademarks, copyrights, false advertising, unfair competition and rights of publicity.
Call or email Lynda if you would like to discuss:
- All aspects of trademark, copyright, false advertising, unfair competition and rights of publicity litigation
- Domain name disputes
- Issues relating to customs and anti-counterfeiting, international trademarks and copyrights, advertising, social media, competition and passing off
- Comparisons between U.S. and European intellectual property law
Big Data & Analytics
Amy Christensen Chun represents clients in all types of intellectual property matters, including patent, trade secret, and copyright litigation, Inter Partes Review (IPR), Covered Business Method (CBM) Review, license negotiations, due diligence investigations, patent prosecution and strategy, and open source policy/risk assessment.
Call or email Amy if you would like to discuss:
- Patent strategies for FinTech, Big Data, and Analytics
- IP issues in diligence for tech acquisitions or VC investments
- Open Source Policy/Risk Assessment
- Trade secret litigation/IP ownership disputes
- Software patents and Section 101 compliance
Michael Fuller is an intellectual property attorney with over two decades of IP experience. With a unique combination of technical backgrounds, Mike represents a diverse group of clients in the life sciences and high technology industries. He is also Chair of the firm’s Biotechnology Practice Group.
Call or email Mike if you would like to discuss:
- Innovations involving combinations of biotechnology and high technology, including bioinformatics, gene arrays and DNA sequencing systems
- Biotechnology and biosimilars, particularly relating to monoclonal antibodies
- Computer software and hardware, particularly relating to video encoding and decoding
- U.S. patent law, including patent reform legislation
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office rules and procedures
Chemical & Pharmaceuticals
Joseph Mallon, Ph.D. focuses his practice on intellectual property due diligence, Patent Office appeals, preparation and prosecution of patent applications, and counseling on patent strategy, patent infringement and licensing issues. He is also the Chair of the firm’s Chemical & Pharmaceutical Practice Group.
Call or email Joe if you would like to discuss:
- USPTO policies and their impact on the innovation community
- Issues relating to public policy in intellectual property, including legislation and regulations
- Intellectual property matters in the aerospace, chemical, nanotechnology and pharmaceuticals industries
Curtiss Dosier is an intellectual property attorney who represents clients in a wide range of mechanical engineering-related technologies. He has extensive experience in automotive and power sports technologies, bicycle technology, sporting goods, construction, medical devices and clean technology.
Call or email Curt if you would like to discuss:
- Complex utility and design patent prosecution, including reexaminations, reissues and appeals to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Patent analysis and advice for mechanical technologies
Mauricio Uribe is an intellectual property attorney and has extensive experience in comprehensive client counseling in a wide variety of technical areas with a primary focus on the electrical and software fields. He has been very active in patent and technology licensing, especially with regard to standard-based patent licensing and royalty models. Mauricio also works closely with various companies in due diligence and patent landscaping matters.
Call or email Mauricio if you would like to discuss:
- Hot topics and trends in patent licensing and valuation, including global standards-based patent licensing
- Computer software and hardware
- Networking and content delivery
- Cloud computing, including virtualization and network-data management
Robb Roby is an intellectual property attorney with extensive experience in complex intellectual property portfolio management as well as offensive and defensive patent strategies as they relate to mechanical components and devices of all types. Robb is particularly experienced in assisting clients in the automotive and power sports industries as well as the fashion, apparel and luxury goods markets.
Call or email Robb if you would like to discuss:
- IP issues relating to knockoffs, counterfeits and copies
- Developing a well-rounded IP strategy suited to particular stages of a corporate lifecycle
- Recent trends in automotive, power sports, fashion, apparel and luxury goods
- His technical expertise in a wide range of mechanical technologies including transportation industry technologies, construction components, fitness machines, breathing apparatuses and food processing plant equipment
Medical Devices & Procedures
Gerard von Hoffman is an intellectual property attorney with extensive experience in patent strategy and litigation in the medical device industry. He is also Chair of the firm’s Medical Device Practice Group and has served on the Board of Directors of four private and two public medical device companies.
Call or email Gerard if you would like to discuss:
- Offensive and defensive patent strategies for optimizing the chances of success for an early-stage medical device product or company
- Technical expertise in transvascular heart valves, cardiovascular, neurovascular, orthopedic, spine and diagnostic and therapeutic devices
- His founding of KnobbeMedical.com, a cooperative portal for sharing information relevant to entrepreneurs, investors, Board members and others who are exploring a start-up, new product or transaction in the medical device industry
Software & Information Technology
Maria Anderson is an intellectual property attorney and has extensive experience in comprehensive, strategic client counseling in all aspects of intellectual property. She has been very active in the prosecution of patent applications in the computer science and e-commerce fields for over 20 years.
Call or email Maria if you would like to discuss:
- Patent analysis and advice for software and information technology industries
- Software patent subject matter eligibility
- Developing patent portfolios for licensing, litigation and enforcement purposes for e-commerce, payment systems, social networking and website personalization/optimization
Trademarks & Copyrights
Jonathan Hyman is a trademark and copyright attorney with extensive U.S. and international experience in a wide range of industries, including entertainment, sports, apparel, retail technology, hospitality, cosmetics, financial services, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, software and e-commerce.
Call or email Jonathan if you would like to discuss:
- Developing trademark portfolios for licensing, litigation and enforcement purposes
- Trademark issues with social media, user-generated content, anti-counterfeiting and domain names, including gTLDs
- Strategies for avoiding false advertising and unfair competition claims
Kerry Taylor, Ph.D., practices in areas including Inter Partes Review, patent prosecution, strategic planning and counseling relating to infringement and licensing issues, and intellectual property due diligence studies. Dr. Taylor has led the firm’s efforts in Inter Partes Review in the life sciences, biotechnology and chemistry fields, representing both Patent Owner and Petitioner in these proceedings.
Call or email Kerry if you would like to discuss:
- The firm’s Inter Partes Review practice, particularly in the life sciences
- Patent prosecution and portfolio strategy development in the life sciences, pharmaceuticals and polymer chemistry industries
Irfan Lateef is a litigation partner who serves clients around the globe with intellectual property matters, with particular emphasis in high stakes patent litigation. He has succeeded at all levels of litigation including early settlement, motions for summary judgement, jury verdicts and appeals.
Call or email Irfan if you would like to discuss:
- Patent litigation matters involving consumer products and/or medical devices
- Comparisons between U.S. and Asian intellectual property law
- Issues relating to non-practicing entity (NPE) litigations